De Roos nature campsite lies in the centre  of the Vechtdal area in the province of Overijssel, one of the most beautiful regions in the Netherlands, and one that has not yet been affected by mass tourism

The ‘golden thread’ in this region is the River Vecht, with all its side arms and exceptional natural beauty.

There are also many and varied natural areas like the old camp scenery of Eerder Achterbroek and the ridge landscapes
of the Lemeler and Archemer mountains. 
Jewels in the Overijssels Vechtdal collection are the unique towns (or ‘esdorpen’) of Beerze and Rheeze and beautiful
castles and manors like Eerde, Rechteren and Den Berg.

In short: an ideal area for cycling and hiking!

 

Beerze is the epitome of rural architecture in Salland. The village is characterised by the thatched Low German houses
(of the elongated type) also known as aisled hall houses. A characteristic feature are the major doors set back under the
roof on the road side, the so-called ‘onderschoer’. These allowed large carts to be driven inside in order to store the harvest
on the ‘deel’ (threshing floor) and loft of the farm.


For thousands of years, until the end of the nineteenth century, farming remained unchanged: cattle grazed on the low-lying
meadows along the Vecht, grain was grown on the higher, fertile common lands and flocks of sheep foraged
on the Beerzerveen heathland.
Beerze first appears in the historical record when Warner of Beerse was counted among the local nobles
who lost their lives in the battle of Ane on 1 August 1227. It is also known that when monks wanted to build a monastery in Sibculo (1406), the then owner of Beerze, Diderick of Voorst, ceded land to the priest Johan Ciemone for this purpose.

For centuries (around 1100 to 1850), the manor house of the lord of Beerze stood on the site of the present-day farm 'de Höfte' at Marsdijk 9. Around the manor house there was formerly an extensive system of oak avenues, some remnants of which are still recognisable.
At that time, the Vecht River flowed close by the castle; by the castle there lay a large pond connected to the Vecht by a system of dams, in which fish were caught using traps made from braided twigs. An old Celtic word for such a dam is ‘bär’, from which the name Beerze is very probably derived.

In the 20th century, a new country house was built in a different spot, at Beerzerpoort. It was built for Baron Bentinck tot Buckhorst. The house is now in private hands and the estate is owned by the nature conservation organisation Landschap Overijssel. You can reach the house by following the avenue of American oaks.

 

In times past, Beerze was a stopping-off point for Vecht boatmen transporting goods from Germanyto Zwollein their zompen (flat-bottomed boats). The Bentheim sandstone used to build the RoyalPalaceon Dam Squarein Amsterdamaround 1650 was also transported along the Vecht. A favourite mooring spot was the boatmen's inn ‘De Goede Vrouw’ which was located immediately beside Camping De Roos (at the site of Beerzerweg 11).

 

The cultural and historical value of the centre of Beerze (30 hectares) is such that in 1992 it was designated
a protected village.
This applies to the location and architectural style of the farms, but also to the road layout and the structure of the village.
Nine of Beerze's farms are protected national monuments and date from before 1800.

 

Until 1900, Ommen was situated on a wide, expansive, practically unforested plain. There were fields, meadows and wooded banks, but the majority of the landscape was wild land, uncultivated peat bog, heath and drifting sand. The government encouraged the owners of the land to forest the land because the drifting sands were a recurring issue. The woodland acreage of woods increased as a result. Oak, blackthorn and hawthorn trees are typical of the Vecht valley as are juniper bushes on the high sandy soil.


Ommen is full of castles and manors all surrounded by beautiful estates. The residents of these castles and manors were often striking personalities. They made an extraordinary contribution to the town and its history. Philip Baron van Pallandt, owner of the castle of Eerde, not only brought the Scouts to Ommen because of his friendship with Baden Powell, he was also captivated by the ideas posited by the theosophists and one of their leading figures Annie Besant. He set aside part of his property for the arrival of Krishnamurti, who was seen as the new world teacher. Ommen hosted the Star Camps from 1924 to 1938 every year, with a few interruptions. The short book Wandelen langs vergeten paden, Krishnamurti in Ommen
(Walking along forgotten paths, Krishnamurti in Ommen) is about this period of time and can be bought at the reception.